Monday, August 28, 2006

Teaching Moment

Last week my son had caught a grasshopper (we have millions of them), and called it his pet "Jumper". He kept Jumper in a small plastic 6 oz. cup with another one inverted on the rim for a lid.

When nighttime came I saw a teaching moment.

"Why don't you let him go outside now that you're going to bed?"

"He's my pet, I want to keep him."

"Well, think of all the animals we have here. Do I keep them locked up in small areas? Is Wagner [our dog] kept in a cage? Do the chickens stay locked up, or do they have a huge coop and big fenced in run? Can the bees fly anywhere they want?"

Now, I realize the last question there was a bit silly, but it helped make my point.

"They all have room", he responded.

"That's right. When I was growing up, sometimes we had to keep our pets locked up in cages, and I didn't like it. That is why I give all our animals lots of room to move and run and enjoy themselves."

It got through to him. Jumper went home that night and I hope he learned a lesson about keeping you pets and livestock happy and healthy.

1 comment:

Soozcat said...

Good call. (Certainly better than letting him keep his pet only to watch it die.)